Activities and Classes
We provide a range of activities and classes –
- Music class (tabla and harmonium) are held to establish cultural awareness and identity for the younger people.
- We provide young people with Tae Kwon Do classes to increase their self-esteem, confidence, motivation, and promote the essential elements of martial arts.
- We provide youth club for 8 – 16 years of age, 2 days a week. The activities organised through the youth club enhances the confidence of young children.
- We offer gym and sauna sessions to men and women 6 days a week who need mental relaxation and social interaction. This service helps create friendships / affiliations with other members of the community. This also helps to promote healthy living.
- Physical education for women is provided through keep fit sessions twice a week and yoga session once a week.
- We provide legal advice to those people who do not understand or have knowledge of the legal system, through a professional advisor.
- We provide facilities for the elderly and those who are unable to communicate in the English language. We provide a ‘drop-in-service’, where self-confidence in social situations is improved. Where advice sessions and general information can be obtained throughout the week.
- We organise summer playschemes for children under five and under eight, and over eights, to enhance their life long learning akills through arts and crafts, indoor and outdoor pursuits and drama sessions, which will promote team building, self-awareness and personal growth. This scheme provides addition support for those children already in full-time education.
- We organise ESOL and computer classes for young people and adults, to enhance their basic computer skills and improve I.T knowledge. We also provide Food and Hygiene courses to the public. All these courses are aimed at giving people basic skills and improving their chances to access in employment.
- We always encourage volunteer’s participation to help deliver quality services to the community, which promotes their educational, and development, and organisational skills and build their confidence for job-seeking opportunities.
Opportunities for vulnerable groups
East Park Activity Group – This group within the community centre provides educational opportunities and social interaction for those people with learning disabilities. Main aim of this group is to provide young people with learning difficulties to participate fully within the community and overcome social isolation. This is achieved via activities and opportunities which are arranged for the group to promote development and enhancement.
This group is for young adults and we provide these services 3 days a week, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, timing for this service is 9.00am – 4.00pm.
Registration or entry in this group is through referral from social service.
We provide full day care services for children under the age of five years old. Which focus on pre-school education. Roseberry pre-school is a warm, friendly and stimulating environment catering for children from the age of 2 years onwards. Its keyworker system implemented to help children’s progress. This facility has passed OFSTED inspection and also pre-school Alliance Accreditation.
We cater for flexible hours to suit children’s needs.
Our fees are based on an hourly fee which at present is £3.00 per hour. Deposit of £50.00, which is refundable if you give us four weeks notice prior to your child leaving.
Free places for 3 & 4 years old
All 3 and 4 years old are entitled to part-time. Early Years funded through the Nursery Education Grant. Nursery Education Grants are provided subject to the criteria set by your local authority and the funding available in your area but generally start the term after your child’s 3rd birthday. This will mean a reduction in your invoice or free nursery sessions (term time only 3 hour session)
Morning sessions 9.30am – 12.30pm (free for 3 & 4 years old)
Afternoon sessions 1.30pm – 4.30pm (free for 3 & 4 years old)
We operate on OPEN ACCESS POLICY where parents are invited to visit the pre-school at any time during operating hours (8.00am-5.00pm). However, due to security reasons we do request that parents inform the office of their intensions to visit beforehand.
Termination of place
Parents who wish to terminate their child’s place from the Nursery, One clear month’s notice in writing or one month’s fee in lieu of such notice to the office is required.
Where the service will be located
The services will be provided at the Sikh Community Centre, 106 East Park Road, Leicester. The premises include the Playgroup, Day Care Centre, Sikh Temple, Gym Sauna Room, computer suite, library, Museum and Punjabi school.